Kudan SLAMs into Vecow's Time Sync BOX
July 31, 2023
Markets and Markets compiled research and found that the outdoor robotics and mobile mapping markets are expected to increase at a CAGR of 27.4% and 19.5% from 2021 to 2026. The forecast created a partnership between Vecow Co., Ltd. and Kudan. The duo announced the utilization of Kudan's expertise in commercial-grade SLAM* software technology with Vecow's modernization in time synchronization and performance in AI computing environments will aid in building smart city and next-generation infrastructure.
"Through collaboration with Kudan SLAM software technologies, Vecow's global partners and customers can bring their solutions to the market faster for outdoor autonomous robotic and mobile mapping use cases," said Thomas Su, VP of Vecow. "Vecow is excited to partner with Kudan and will continue to work with industry leaders to remain at the forefront of technological advancements."
The combination of multi-sensor fusion-based Visual and 3D-Lidar SLAM technologies with a robust time synchronization and edge computing system, called Time Sync BOX** will improve performance for outdoor autonomous robots and mobile ecosystems.
(Feature-based infusion SLAM framework / https://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/14/12/2835#)
Benefits of Kudan’s Slam
- 1cm-level accuracy, and greater than 300x lighter map size over raw Lidar data
- Almost zero pose estimation latency when combining with an IMU
- Compatible with different types of Lidar technology (spinning, solid state, and prizm based?
- Correct motion blur in the Lidar data stream while mapping resulting in sharper point clouds and AI processes likes object recognition
Time Sync Software Features
- Sensor node to sensor node sync
- Controller to Controller sync
- Auto calibration of latency
- Expand the sync channels
- Dual GNSS and IMU yaw fusion
- Integrated EKF algorithm
- Allow custom sensor fusion algorithm
- Friendly command line
- Meet various sensors requirement
- Support x86 and Arm-based system
Vecow’s Mobile Mapping Kit is an accessible tool for devices to concurrently self-locate maps of immediate environment. Time Sync technology aids exact motion inference and loop closure detection creating a more accurate, reliable, and high-quality mapping results through SLAM.
"Kudan is excited to advance the partnership with Vecow towards fast-growing outdoor autonomous and mobile mapping applications." said Daiu Ko, Chief Executive Officer of Kudan. "Vecow's time synchronization and edge computing products are a great fit with Kudan's multi-sensor SLAM technology, which both serve as the core technology for autonomous mobility systems. We look forward to expanding the collaboration with Vecow in various areas to resolve key challenges of our customers and accelerate the time-to-market of their solutions with superior performance and reliability."
* SLAM (Simultaneous Localization And Mapping) is a technology that allows devices to self-locate and create maps of their surrounding environment simultaneously. Kudan owns SLAM technology utilizing both cameras and 3D-Lidar sensors, together with multi-sensor fusion and deep learning capabilities. Its technology has high precision and high-robustness characteristics with flexible sensor setup and deployment models.
** Vecow Time Sync BOX provides three key technologies: Time Winding, Time Stamping, and Time Keeping, it can help to measure all sensor's rising edge of the clocks aligned with the GPS PPS signal and send the time stamp data to all sensors node, the solution also includes PTP/gPTP, ROS 2 Framework, Daisy Chain, and EKF Algorithm. Those technologies will improve the capability of multi-sensor fusion, perception, precision, and positioning accuracy.