Embedded Computing Design launches Make the World a Better Place Design Challenge with partners IAR Systems, Renesas Electronics America
May 30, 2018
The Make the World a Better Place Design Challenge encourages embedded and IoT engineers to submit a proof of concept based on Renesas? RZ/A1LU Development Kit and IAR Embedded Workbench.
Scottsdale, AZ. Embedded Computing Design, an OpenSystems Media (OSM) property and the leading media outlet for engineers and developers working on Automotive, Embedded, IoT, and Industrial applications, announces the launch of the Make the World a Better Place Design Challenge in collaboration with industry leaders IAR Systems and Renesas Electronics America.
The Make the World a Better Place Design Challenge encourages embedded and IoT engineers to submit a proof of concept based on Renesas’ RZ/A1LU Development Kit and IAR Embedded Workbench that may save lives, time, or money; reduce waste; carbon emissions; or energy consumption; or simply eliminate nuisances in people’s daily lives. Ten finalists will be selected to turn their concept into a working product, with three winners awarded cash prizes totaling more than $10,000 USD.
Anyone is free to submit an idea to the Make the World a Better Place Design Challenge. The contests consists of two phases:
- In Phase One, the engineering community will submit “paper” designs, telling the esteemed panel of judges how their design will benefit society. Ten finalists will be selected from the submissions and advance to Phase Two.
- In Phase Two, each of the ten finalists will receive complimentary hardware and software from the two partnering companies to turn the idea into a real, working prototype. The Design Challenge will award a total of $10,500 in cash prizes to three winners to help transform those solutions to realities. The three winners will also be featured in the Renesas Electronics booth at Electronica, November 12-16 in Munich, Germany.
Each design submission will be evaluated against a 25-point rubric, and the cumulative scores from each judging organization used to determine the ten finalists and three winners. Phase Two also provides the opportunity for the electronics engineering community to participate in the challenge by voting for their favorite product.
The industry expert judges are listed below.
- Susanne Dahlén, Director of Engineering, IAR Systems
- Ali Sebt, Chief Corporate Development Officer, IAR Systems
- Vin D’Agostino, Vice President of Strategic Marketing & Applications Engineering, Renesas Electronics America
- Andy Harding, Director, Renesas Electronics Europe
- Brandon Lewis, Technology Editor, Embedded Computing Design
To submit an idea or learn more about the Make the World a Better Place Design Challenge, visit betterplacechallenge.com.
About OpenSystems Media
For more than 30 years, OpenSystems Media has focused solely on the embedded computing market. OpenSystems Media offers balance: taking not only a broad, encompassing look at trends and technologies, but also focusing on certain solutions in-depth.
The OSM mission is to promote the development and use of open standards and new technologies in the embedded computing industry globally across multiple markets. Our editors constantly scan the industry for emerging standards, emerging technologies and uniquely innovative products, and work with industry leaders to develop and publish articles that educate the design community about innovative new products, technologies, and standards of benefit to them. Learn more at www.embedded-computing.com.
About IAR Systems
IAR Systems supplies future-proof software tools and services for embedded development, enabling companies worldwide to create the products of today and the innovations of tomorrow. Since 1983, IAR Systems’ solutions have ensured quality, reliability and efficiency in the development of over one million embedded applications. The company is headquartered in Uppsala, Sweden and has sales and support offices all over the world. IAR Systems Group AB is listed on NASDAQ OMX Stockholm, Mid Cap. Learn more at www.iar.com.
About Renesas Electronics Corporation
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723) delivers trusted embedded design innovation with complete semiconductor solutions that enable billions of connected, intelligent devices to enhance the way people work and live—securely and safely. A global leader in microcontrollers, analog, power and SoC products and integrated platforms, Renesas provides the expertise, quality, and comprehensive solutions for a broad range of Automotive, Industrial, Home Electronics, Office Automation and Information Communication Technology applications to help shape a limitless future. Learn more at renesas.com.