GaN-based 500W Heatsinkless Audio Amplifier from Axign and GaN Systems
January 06, 2022
GaN Systems and Axign debuted a new GaN-based 500W Class-D audio amplifier, merging GaN Systems’ GaN power transistors and Axign’s Class-D controller.
Per the companies, the solution enables companies to create unique audio systems that are smaller, sleeker, more efficient, more powerful, and provide better audio quality than previous generations.
Both companies will be showcasing the demo board at CES. Under Axign’s theme of “Listening to the Sound of Innovation,” this solution signals the next leap in efficiency and sound quality performance as audio needs have evolved. This design is ideal for consumer and automotive audio applications, including active loudspeakers, television soundbars, audio entertainment solutions, and streaming audio amplifier solutions.
Key features of the 500W Class-D audio amplifier reference design:
- Rated Output Power: 2x 250W in 4 Ohm BTL (optionally 1x 500W in 2 Ohm PBTL)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz +/- 0.1dB, DC – 40kHz +/-3dB
- High Dynamic Range: 109dB-A in BTL (optionally 118dB-A in PBTL)
- Output Noise Voltage: 110uV A-weighted, 20kHz AES17 (optionally 41uV in PBTL)
- Very low and flat THD: <0.01%, 20Hz – 20kHz
- Damping factor: >4000
In addition to the key features, the solution is also hi-res audio compatible. Per the companies, the 500W Class-D audio amplifier reference design solves several technical challenges, especially heat generation in high-power audio amplifiers and efficiency. Designers will be able to:
- Eliminate heatsinks.
- Increase efficiency as GaN has lower switching and conduction losses and high-current capabilities.
- Enhance sound quality (or reach a Class-A sound quality) with a post-filter feedback Class-D controller with full control over the loudspeaker.
GaN Systems will demonstrate the latest designs and products in power supply, wireless power, audio, and automotive solutions at Tech East, Renaissance Hospitality Suites (next to the Las Vegas Convention Center) at Suite 1232. Book online to reserve an appointment with GaN Systems.