Electronic System Design Industry Logs Double-Digit Q2 2021 Year-Over-Year Revenue Growth, ESD Alliance Reports
November 05, 2021
Electronic System Design (ESD) industry revenue increased 14.6% year-over-year from $2,783.9 million to $3,191.4 million in Q2 2021, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, announced in the latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 15.5%, the highest annual growth since 2011.
Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor, SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report, said, "Product categories Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM), Semiconductor IP (SIP), and Services all reported double-digit growth."
The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 49,964 people globally in Q2 2021, a 7.3% increase over the Q2 2020 headcount of 46,579 and up 1.9% compared to Q1 2021.
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by Product and Application Category - Year-Over-Year Change
- CAE revenue increased 10.1% to $1,014.6 million. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 11%.
- IC Physical Design and Verification revenue decreased 0.4% to $581.5 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category rose 18.6%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM) revenue increased 16.8% to $284.4 million. The four-quarter moving average increased 9.4%.
- SIP revenue rose 27.1% to $1,204.9 million. The four-quarter moving average grew 20.5%.
- Services revenue increased 23.1% to $106.1 million. The four-quarter moving average increased 8.8%.
Revenue by Region - Year-Over-Year Change
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, purchased $1,367.3 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2021, an 18.3% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 15.2%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa revenue increased 9.9% to $415 million. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 7.8%.
- Japan revenue decreased 1% to $237.9 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 1.9%.
- Asia Pacific revenue increased 15.9% to $1,171.2 million. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 22.9%.
For more information, visit ESD Alliance.