Microchip and STAR-Dundee Collaborate on SpaceVPX-Compliant Development Platform
June 12, 2019
Platform enables developers to implement new high-speed data transfer technology for modern spacecraft using Microchip?s radiation-tolerant RTG4? FPGAs.
Microchip Technology Inc. via its Microsemi subsidiary, joined forces with STAR-Dundee on developing an evaluation platform that employs SpaceFibre technology.
The STAR-Dundee 3U SpaceVPX demonstration board accelerates the growth of flexible, high-speed SpaceVPX (VITA-78)-compliant data-networking systems for space applications. The development board’s design uses Microchip’s RTG4 devices to improve functionality while providing systems with an essential level of failure protection in space.
The SpaceVPX-compliant platform features:
- Better performance than the previous SpaceWire data transmission standard
- Supports high need for data to be transmitted between boards and systems onboard modern spacecraft
- Diminishes mass, minimizing cost by operating over electrical or fiberoptic cables
- Allows virtual planes to carry data, control and management information
- Prevents configuration disruptions in severe radiation environments through built-in radiation mitigation techniques
Learn more at www.microchip.com.